Saturday, August 30, 2008

Slow Food Nation '08: Friday Night's Sneak Preview

Here's a little slide show of photos I took at last nights SFN'08's Taste Pavilion sneak preview. A select few VIP's (and myself) were invited to see an impressive array of organic, sustainable, and more importantly, delicious food products that are the edible centerpiece of this weekends event. Sorry for the less than detailed narration, but I wanted to get something up quickly, and only had a few minutes free time.

Michele and I will be officially eating our way through the Taste Pavilion on Sunday evening, so stay tuned for much more. Today I'm off to the San Francisco's civic center for three different lectures from the Food for Thought program. Speakers include Alice Waters, Michael Pollan, and Slow Food International’s founder Carlo Petrini.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what the yellow thing is but I can't comment on it.

That smallish oven near the beginning looks interesting, any more info on that Chef?

Ricardo said...

Chef
That yellow thing look like a chile güero (the little dots mean that the u is pronounced). It is a lightly hot, and a bit sweet chile or hot pepper. Much used in Mexico for Veracruz style seafood, and for the classic Spanish Bacalao Bilabaina, or Cod Bilbao Style.
Ricardo

Anonymous said...

Could that unidentified "yellow thing" be a banana slug? They're pretty slow...
Luisa Vacaville

Chef John said...

i think the small oven was to cook flatbread on the bricks.

Anonymous said...

Chef,

How do you get involved in an event like this? I'm working towards becoming a chef and love to cook at home all the time...

Going to events like this would be wonderful.

Carolina deWitte said...

Why can't I watch this one? I see nothing here. I have no problem with the rest of the videos, so can only assume this one has been removed for some reason. Bummer.

Chef John said...

It's playing for me. Try again.